The Forestry Service at the Department of Agriculture update all applications every Wednesday and you can find them at the links below for each month. They include applications for afforestation, forestry roads, clear felling and aerial fertilisation.
If we can be of any assistance or if you need help objecting or submitting an appeal of decision please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
You have 28 days from the date the application is posted on the Department’s website to submit an observation or objection. You can also request all documentation, inspectors notes and maps associated with the application.
ALL OBJECTIONS ARE STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL AND NO NAMES ARE DISCLOSED TO APPLICANTS.
Examples of grounds to object:
- Obstruction of Light and/or views
- Bogland / Protected Habitat / High Nature Value Farmland
- Prime scenic area/tourist attraction
- Heritage site / ring forts / mass rocks / famine graves / archaeological remains
- Streams / rivers / lakes on or close to site
- Close proximity to homes and buildings
- Disenfranchising wildlife and biodiversity
- Neighbours and adjoining land owners not notified about application or approval
- Road infrastructure won’t support the machinery for felling
- Too much Sitka Spruce forestry already in townland
- Not enough broadleaf trees. More wanted.
We’ve written a sample objection letter below. Feel free to use and amend to your own concerns
Email objection to:
Or in writing to:
Department of Agriculture, Food & the Marine
Johnstown Castle Estate
To whom it concerns,
Re: Afforestation Licence CN____
I wish to object to the above Afforestation Licence.
Afforestation is having a detrimental impact on the social and economic fabric of our communities. From the 2016 Census, one can clearly see the decimation of our townlands and our rural communities as a result of the relentless afforestation of Co. Leitrim which has led to depopulation, forcing closure and threatened closures of our primary schools and local businesses and the loss of GAA football clubs.
With the emergence of speculators and vulture funds who purchase our land but make no commitment or contribution to the well- being of our rural communities, they are making it impossible for local farmers to compete with them on the open market. This would be seen as unjust in any society.
I strongly believe that the current National Policy on forestry as it stands is wreaking havoc in Co. Leitrim with approx. 50% of the agricultural land already planted.
My reasons for objecting are:
– Decimation of our townlands and rural communities
– Closure of local schools and businesses
– Relentless afforestation is detrimental to the social and economic long term viability and integrity of our community
– Relentless afforestation is having a negative impact on the environment, farming, heritage and culture of its environs.
Please provide me with all documentation and maps associated with the above application.
I request a receipt of acknowledgement of this objection and please keep me informed of any developments in relation to the above application.